Monday, April 16, 2012

Jean & Lyndel best parents in the world!

Between writing three 20 page papers, going to Arizona, and trying desperately to find new roommates, I have not kept up on my goal to write every week...so, I am writing another post just three days later!

I am going to answer number three from the list of questions to get to know me.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents 


Just a quick background on my parents:



Mom

  • My mother's name is Jean Renee Grover
  • She, along with her twin brother, were adopted as babies
  • She grew up in Phoenix, Arizona and later moved to Mesa, Arizona
  • She worked at her dad/brothers business (Grovers) during college
  • She got her teaching degree at Arizona State University
  • She got her Masters through Northern Arizona University
  • She has taught High School English for the past 25 years
  • She takes on a million and a half things and works really hard
  • She has raised 4 kids and sort of adopted one more
Dad
  • My father's name is Lyndel Lawrence Akers
  • He moved a lot growing up. He was born in Oklahoma and lived in Washington
  • He served a mission in Cleveland Ohio in '77
  • He worked at Grovers after the mission where he met my mom
  • He then started his own lawn business: Green Akers
  • He went back to school and got a teaching degree with Ottawa University
  • Then promptly started and finished his masters with NAU 
  • He is a 2nd grade teacher and really makes a difference in their lives 
  • He is also a bishop in our ward
In between all their schooling and working they had us kids and have been the best parents I could ask for. 


My dad and I have a good relationship. For a little prospective, when I was home for Christmas my sister accused me of being my dads favorite and he didn't deny it... My dad and I are a lot alike: the way we think, act, and even our jokes are similar. I think the best way to describe our relationship is through some examples.


I remember when my dad was going back to school and he would be gone at nights, I would take his text books and highlight them. I just wanted to be like him and be smart and go to college. Then, once he was done and started teaching, I loved to go to school with him and help him in his room. I didn't realize it till now, but I am a daddy's girl. I always liked to be around him. His presence has always brought a sense of peace to my life.

One of my favorite memories with my dad is when I went to get my patriarchal blessing. (A blessing delivered through a priesthood holder that contains personal guidance from the Lord.) My parents and I went to the guys house, talked with him for a little bit and then he gave the blessing. When we left the mans house, my dad put his arm around me and said "I'm so proud of you." This meant the world to me. Our family isn't very affectionate and this is one of the few moments I can look back on and know he loves me.

My favorite thing about my dad, is that  he has supported me in everything I have ever done. I never have to question if he will stand behind me and guide me when needed. When I wanted to take a year off college and work for the airlines to travel all over, he loved the idea so much that he even went on trips with me: we went to Chicago and saw a baseball game at Wrigley Field and to Hobbiton in New Zealand, just for the heck of it.  When I decided to serve a mission, he was super excited. When I wanted to drive to Virginia to sell pest control with a company I knew nothing about, he hopped in the car a took the 36 hour car drive with me.


My mom...I don't even know where to start with her. She is amazing and someday I hope to be as good as she is. I don't have a lot of early memories with her because she did work a lot and her job was an hour and half away. I do remember her reading me Winnie the Pooh while dabbing calamine lotion on my chicken pocks. However, once she started working closer to home our relationship began to blossom.

There were countless evening that I would sit and watch my mom cook dinner and we would talk. Looking back, I guess I could have helped my mom cook instead of just sitting there, but heck we can't all be perfect. Good for me bad for my mom, this ritual continued for many years. We talk about everything. It was hard to be away from her while I lived in Brazil and I looked up to getting an email from her every Wednesday.

I am now living in Utah on a different time than Arizona and we still talk just about every day. In fact, I just got a voicemail from her saying she misses me and to give her a call. And, she called me Chels in this message, which she doesn't do very often.

If there was a way for me to lighten her load and make life a little easier for her, I would. My mom has worked so hard her whole life and deserves a break!

That is it in a nut shell... I love my mom and dad so much and couldn't imagine life without them. And, I am sure that the only way they would love me more is if I gave them grandchildren. Don't hold your breath...

No comments:

Post a Comment